The Graduate School awards two full fellowships to Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies each year. Each fellowship carries a nine-month, approximately $24,300 stipend (tuition and fees to be paid by the Graduate School). Please note that only students in years one through six are eligible for health insurance. Beginning in year seven, students are responsible for providing their own health insurance.
The intent of these awards is to “buy time” for a doctoral candidate who is past course work and engaged in the early stages of dissertation research. As the fellowships are in Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies, it is expected that fellowship recipients will devote the year to deepening their knowledge of feminist theory and methods, and exploring interdisciplinary angles on the topics being researched. We also expect fellows to be active participants in program activities throughout their fellowship year. Graduate students enrolled in the Certificate Program in Feminist Studies will have priority for these awards.
March 25th (Late applications will not be considered.)
- Students enrolled as full-time Ph.D. students at Duke University from all areas in the University are eligible to apply.
- The fellowship is for one year only, non-renewable, non-deferrable. The amounts of stipend and fees payments are determined by the Graduate School.
- Recipients must be in residence during the entire 2018-19 academic year.
- Recipients must have taken and passed preliminary exams by the end of the semester prior to the beginning of the Fellowship.
- Recipients are expected to participate in community activities that are of mutual benefit to the individual and to Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies, including a presentation of work-in-progress in the Graduate Scholars Colloquium, if asked.
- No other award may be held concurrently with this fellowship without permission from the Dean of the Graduate School, including teaching commitment(s).
- Substantial prior scholarly investment in the field of gender, sexuality and/or Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies,
- Interest in prioritizing faculty positions in Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies as a potential career trajectory, and
- Willingness to be part of the intellectual and social life of the Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies community at Duke.
The Graduate School prefers that priority be given to candidates at earlier stages of their research, particularly candidates entering their 4th or 5th year of study in the 2018-19 academic year.
Applicants will be notified of decisions by May.
To apply click on Dissertation Fellowship Application, References letters are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The following is a summary of the information required to apply for the Dissertation Fellowship.
- A one-page cover letter
- An Overview of Dissertation Abstract
- A brief description of Gender, Sexuality and Feminist Studies courses taken, including faculty and institution
- A summary of previous funding and possible funding sources for the next year
- Curriculum vitae
For questions, please contact Julie Wynmor at email@example.com.