This award celebrates students who have excelled in service to the campus and the community extending beyond the classroom.
The Dora Anne Little Award is given annually to a Duke student, undergraduate or graduate, who has excelled in service to the campus and community that extends beyond the classroom. The award, a one-time prize of up to $1,500, recognizes contributions to the campus and community, with a preference toward work that addresses issues related to women in society.
This award is endowed through the Council on Women’s Studies, an advisory board of graduates, administrators, parents and friends who provide ideas, leadership, and direction to Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies at Duke, as well as identify resources to insure the program's continued growth. Dora Anne Little is a former member of the Council. The award is one of several gifts that have been given to GSF in order to recognize and reward the accomplishments of individuals who have worked to improve the climate for women at all levels of University life.
Selection criteria for the award include:
- a history of community service,
- experience in extending classroom work into a broader community,
- an ability to build consensus for social change, and
- commitment to connecting academic studies to social action.
Winners will be asked to report on the use of these funds and their work.
Students may self-nominate or be nominated for this award.
- a 1-2 page letter addressed to the Dora Anne Little Award Committee that identifies the ways in which the applicant fits the four award criteria;
- two letters of recommendation, addressed to the Committee, describing the applicant's suitability for the award;
- a current curriculum vitae or resume outlining education, work experiences, related experiences, and involvement with women-centered issues.
Deadline & Submission
Applications are due May 1, 2017
If electronic submission is NOT possible, please send your application to:
Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies Office
Durham NC 27708
A faculty committee will select the awardees. Applicants will be notified by email in May.
For information or questions about the Dora Anne Little Service Award, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org